For those who don’t eat meat or try a meatless Monday approach to cooking and eating this is a very easy but good recipe.
You may put shredded chicken in if you would like meat but prefer to use black beans.
1-2 cups of black beans or if using chicken use 1/2 pound
8-10 white corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese your choice
Green chilies sauce ( to make your own it will take about an hour but if you have time it is worth it)
Green chilies sauce recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Gary’s True Grit™ Einkorn Flour
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Anaheim or poblano chiles, roasted and peeled, or 1 cup canned diced green chiles, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- 1 drop Black Pepper Vitality™ essential oil
- 1 drop Oregano Vitality essential oil
- 1 drop Lime Vitality essential oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cover.
- Cook until onions are soft but not brown (about 5–6 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2–3 minutes. Clumping is okay.
- Slowly add broth, whisking constantly to smooth out any lumps.
- Add cumin, chilies, salt, and jalapeno and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce should coat spoon but still drip off.
- Remove from heat and stir in Vitality oils.
- Add additional salt to taste, if needed.
- For a smoother consistency, blend sauce in a food processor or blender
Instructions for the Enchiladas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spread a little less than half of the green chili sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 pan
Dip the tortilla in the sauce fill it with black beans (or if doing chicken shredded chicken) to desired amount, sprinkle with a little cheese, roll up and place in pan. Do this for the remainder of your ingredients.
Sprinkle cheese over top of enchiladas put in oven and bake for about 20 minutes
If you would like you may put back olives on top of the cheese before you bake them, one more tip is when the enchiladas are done and you put them on the counter to cool a bit you may also want to try sprinkling with cilantro.
I got the green chili sauce recipe from Youngliving and enjoy cooking with essential oils but dry herbs, black pepper and lime juice work as well you just adjust the amount.