Thanks to the weather not knowing if it is Spring or Winter, I am once again able to enjoy a nice bowl of chili before the warm days of Summer. Not only is this high on the clean protein scale but tasty too. I was planning out my meal plans for my health and wellness challenge group I lead and needed healthy recipes but was coming up blank, so I decided to search the Beachbody recipes they offer on their site and found this one, sort of.
I changed it up a little by adding a few things and removing others but all in all I was glad that I was inspired to make a great chili.
Serves 4-5, prep 10 minutes, cook time 30 minutes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper or 5 small, sweet peppers
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 extra-firm organic tofu, drained, cubed
1 small can of tomato puree
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed
1 small can dice green chilies
1 cup vegan chicken broth (1 cup of water with 2 tsp of broth base)
The following seasoning per taste, red chili powder, cumin, smoky paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt, black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat; add oil and heat until fragrant.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion
is translucent, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tofu, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper,
and allspice. Turn heat to medium-high and cook until tofu is lightly
browned and spices smell toasty, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, beans, green chilies. Bring to a
simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Divide evenly among four serving bowls.
- Serve immediately, or store refrigerated in an airtight container for up
to 5 days,
This is a spicy recipe. To make it less spicy cut the cayenne pepper in half or leave it out.