(Daniel Plan Cookbook)
Maybe it’s the thought of spring not too far away but I thought I would share this great recipe that came from a cookbook called “Dainiel Plan.” I have made variations of this recipe so you can take it and have fun with it, plus its a great start to try out a meatless option for when Summer and all those BBQ dinners are here.
Quinoa-Lentil Veggie Burgers:
6 ounces brown or white mushrooms
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 Cup of chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, minced.
1 Tablespoon wheat-free tamari or soy sauce
1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley.
2 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano.
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can cooked lentils, rinsed and drained
1 large egg beaten.
1/2 Cup (or more) breadcrumbs
4 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
4 Teaspoon coarse or whole grain Dijon mustard
For the Toppings/garnish
5 slices mozzarella or jack cheese
5 whole grain or gluten-free buns
5 large slices tomato
These are such a great alternative to hamburgers. You can cook them in the house or in no time BBQ season will be here, making this recipe a great option for all those fun times.
- In a food processor pulse mushrooms or chop by hand.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a sauté’ in frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft. Add garlic and tamari. Cook 1 more minute.
- Add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms release their moisture and are almost dry. Add parsley, oregano, and black pepper. Add lentils and stir well.
- Put lentil mixture into food processor, and pulse mixture to grind. and 7 times.
- In large bowl, combine mushroom-lentil mixture with beaten egg, quinoa breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and mustard. Moisture level of mixture may vary with the type of breadcrumbs used. It should be very moist, but not be wet. If it feels wet, add bread
- crumbs 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide into 5 portions, about a generous 1/2 cup each. Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten to form a patty. Place on patties on flat plate cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Add patties cook 5-6 minutes per side.
Now that your patties are done, add patty to your whole grain bun. Add your toppings and enjoy!